Tara.S Tutor Interview
- Q. Hi Tara! Would you kindly give a brief self-introduction to the Cafetalk community?
A. My name is Tara and I have been teaching English for over five years. I taught English in Japan for three years and have been teaching on Cafetalk for two years now. I have a one year old daughter and have been married for six years. I enjoy traveling and drinking coffee and chatting with friends!
- Q. Tell us a bit about where you’re from. Where did you grow up, and what is the town you live in now like?
A. I am from Omaha, Nebraska in the US. There isn't much to do in Nebraska, it is mainly a farming state. I currently live in Blioxi, Mississippi. We live 5 minutes from the beach on the gulf coast so we enjoy having beach days in the warm sun.
- Q. You also worked in Japan for a few years. Can you tell us a bit about your time teaching in Tokyo?
A. While I was in Japan I taught all walks of life. I taught private lessons, group lessons, and children. Teaching in Japan I really got to be immersed in the culture and get to know its citizens, Japanese are some of the kindest people I know. Japan will always have a piece of my heart!
- Q. What are you usually up to when you’re not teaching on Cafetalk? What are your hobbies and interests?
A. When I am not teaching I am spending time with my baby girl. She takes up most of my time now but I do like to go on trips and I enjoy baking cookies and cakes for my friends and neighbors.
- Q. We heard you adopted a puppy while in Japan… can you tell us more about him?
A. Yes his name is Ouji! He is a long hair miniature dachshund! He loves to play fetch and loves to cuddle up to me with a blanket. He and my daughter are becoming best friends.
- Q. And you have recently become a mother! How are you enjoying being a mom?
A. Yes, becoming a mom has changed my whole world! I love being able to stay home with her and watch her grow and learn new things everyday. I am thankful that I can have a job that allows me to stay at home with her and still provide for my family.
- Q. A lot of students are probably curious about the atmosphere in your lessons. What can a student imagine a lesson with you to be like? What’s your “lesson style”?
A. My lesson style is very casual and laid back. I want every student to feel comfortable in my lessons and I want to get to know each one of my students. I typically like to have my students tell me what they want out of our lessons together and from there I cater my lessons to their wants.
- Q. Your most popular lesson is your “Casual Conversation” lesson. Conversation classes can be tricky - what’s your secret to make this kind of class work for every student?
A. Conversation lessons are my favorite lessons to teach! Any student can do this type of lesson, no need to be grammatically correct, that is what I will help you with as we talk. Most students can find books that will teach them have to speak correct English, but with my conversation lessons I teach my students different types of idioms and other natural American sayings. You cannot not find that in any textbook.
- Q. Finally, would you like to leave a message for your current and future students?
A. I enjoy teaching so much and I love seeing my students improve every lesson. I try to make all of my lessons fun and easy going. I want all of my students to have fun learning english and feel comfortable doing so! I would love to meet all of you and I look forward to having new students.